Oobi is a puppet show made in 2000 for Nickelodeon and its sister channel Noggin. It started as a series of two-minute shorts and premiered as a long-form series on April 7, 2003. The show revolves around four hand puppets with eyes and accessories who use very simple, distilled dialog.
Dick Maitland was the sound effect director and foley artist for the show.
The show follows a group of bare hand puppets with eyes and accessories. The main characters are a boy named Oobi, his sister Uma, his friend Kako, and his grandfather Grampu. The concept is based on a training method used by puppeteers learning to operate Muppets, when they use their hands and a pair of ping pong balls instead of a puppet.
Secondary characters include Frieda the Foot, one of Oobi's best friends who happens to be a foot puppet instead of a hand; Inka, Oobi's piano teacher who eventually becomes Grampu's girlfriend; and Angus, a nerdy and insecure classmate of Oobi's whose eyes are below his fingers rather than on top.
TV Show Intro Edit
Sound Effects UsedEdit
- Hollywoodedge, Elephant Single Shor AT043401 (Heard once in "Pretend Circus!.")
- Hollywoodedge, Elephant Trumpeting PE024801 (Heard once in "Pretend Circus!.")
- Hollywoodedge, Seagulls No Surf BT022101 (used in "Fishing!")
- Sound Ideas, CARTOON, CRASH - LARGE JUNK CRASH 01 (used in "Dinosaur!")
- Sound Ideas, DOOR, BELL - SINGLE RING (Heard in "Babysitter" and "Chez Oobi")
- Sound Ideas, LAUGHTER, CHILD - FEMALE CHILD: LAUGHING, HUMAN 01
- Sound Ideas, ZIP, CARTOON - BIG WHISTLE ZING OUT
- Sound Ideas, ZIP, CARTOON - QUICK SLIDE WHISTLE ZIP DOWN (used in "Make Pizza!")