Soul is a 2020 American computer-animated fantasy comedy-drama film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. Directed by Pete Docter and co-directed by Kemp Powers, the film stars the voices of Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Graham Norton, Rachel House, Alice Braga, Richard Ayoade, Phylicia Rashad, Donnell Rawlings, Questlove, and Angela Bassett. The story follows a middle school music teacher named Joe Gardner, who seeks to reunite his soul and his body after they are accidentally separated, just before his big break as a jazz musician. Soul is the first Pixar film to feature an African-American protagonist.
Docter began developing the film in 2016, working from his contemplations on the origins of human personalities and the concept of determinism. He co-wrote the screenplay with Mike Jones and Powers. The film's producers consulted various jazz musicians including Herbie Hancock and Terri Lyne Carrington, and animated its musical sequences using the sessions of musician Jon Batiste as reference. Apart from Batiste's original jazz compositions, musicians Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross also composed the film's score.
Soul premiered at the London Film Festival on October 11, 2020. It was set to be theatrically released on November 20. However, the feature was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with Soul being released direct-to-streaming on Disney+ on December 25, and in theaters in countries without the streaming service. It became the first feature-length film from Pixar not to be given a wide theatrical release and the first to be billed as a Disney+ Original. The film received highly positive reviews from critics, with praise for its animation, story, voice acting, and musical score. It has received multiple awards and nominations. At the 93rd Academy Awards, the film was nominated in three categories, winning Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score. The film also won Best Animated Film and Best Original Score at the Golden Globe Awards, BAFTA Awards, Critics' Choice Awards, and Annie Awards.
Joe is a middle-school band teacher whose life hasn't quite gone the way he expected. His true passion is jazz — and he's good — but, when he travels to another realm to help someone find their passion, he soon discovers what it means to have soul.
- 22 vs. Earth (2021) (Shorts)
- Soul (2020) (Trailers)
- Soul (2020) (TV Spots)
Sound Effects Used
- H-B BITE, CARTOON - SMALL BONE BITE (Heard once in a high pitch when a child soul bites the soul-transformed Joe's arm.)
- Hollywoodedge, Car Horn Honk Close Me CT052201/Hollywoodedge, Car Horn Honk Medium PE077001
- Hollywoodedge, Cat Domestic Meow Ang AT010501 (Heard twice when Joe was inside Mr. Mittens the cat's body.)
- Hollywoodedge, Cat Domestic Meow Ang AT010504 (Heard twice when Joe was inside Mr. Mittens the cat's body.)
- Hollywoodedge, Cat Domestic Meow Ang AT010602 (Heard twice when Joe was inside Mr. Mittens the cat's body.)
- Hollywoodedge, Cats Fighting Loud Sc PE917007/Hollywoodedge, Cats Two Angry YowlsD PE022601 (Used for Mr. Mittens. 1st, 3rd, and 5th yowls heard once in a -2 pitch and 2nd yowl heard twice in a -2 pitch.)
- SKYWALKER, WATER - SINGLE SPLASH
- Sound Ideas, BELL, SHIP - LARGE BRASS SHIP'S BELL: TWO RINGS
- Sound Ideas, MOTOR, ELECTRIC, SMALL - DENTIST CHAIR
- Sound Ideas, WHIP - BULLWHIP: SINGLE CRACK 02